Sunday, March 2, 2008

selfish me

i have been thinking a lot lately, and when i do that, i always come up with some amount of philosophical shit. this post will have a lot of that, so you decide if you want to continue reading...(yeah i like to put disclaimers at the very begining; i think it makes no sense to put them at the end, after the harm's been done!).

on one of those days, when i was in my usual pensive state of mind, i came up with this beauty: "i have one life to live, so i shall not live it according to anybody's terms, but my own." i know that's nothing novel, and that many others would have said the same thing before me, but each person who discovers something for himself, experiences the this-is-so-true feeling about something, deserves all the credit that the very first person who came up with the idea got, so there!

am i being selfish when i say that? i say "no". i mean think of this...i am born, i grow up, i attend school, college, take up a job, marry someone...so far most of everything's been done according to a lot of other folks wishes; but heck, where's my life...it's-a-going-away, slipping by too damn fast, and before i realise it, i think i'll have cataract and a few dentures...you get the point, right?

so before that happens, i need to get a life of my own, which essentially means, do the things i've always dreamt of doing, be the person i've yearned to be, see the sights i have envisioned in my mind, go to places i have traversed in my mind...and no, this isn't selfishness. i'll indulge in some plagiarism and borrow walter scott's concept to dish out my idea

"breathes there a man with soul so dead,

who never has loved himself?"

here's to love of the self! (better late than never!)

No comments: