Friday, April 25, 2014

Beautiful Today, Gone Tomorrow

                                                                                      I

There’s a stream that flows through my parents’ farm, a good distance away from the farmhouse. It is of the classic fairy tale variety, with sparkling bright water that gurgles over smooth pebbles and myriad jagged stones as it rushes on merrily. The banks of the stream are no less picturesque with wild flowers blooming in abandon amidst lush green grass. My parents don’t go there often, encumbered as they are with the chores around the farm and the house. The fact that they aren’t growing any younger probably adds to their reluctance in straying from the routine and giving in to idle whims. That stream caught my fancy the first time I saw it, on a visit to their newly purchased farm a decade ago. I was mesmerised by the beauty in and around the stream, and I felt cheated at not having been privy to this bounty when I was still a child.
Each time I sat on its banks, I would pour a bit of myself into the stream. One time, it was the agony of a breakup with my then partner. On another occasion, it was the joy of becoming a parent. I have lost count of the umpteen times when I vented my anger on the various people in my life, into the stream. Each string of abusive words hurled into nothingness would bounce off the jagged ends of the stones in the stream. Each stray tear that fell off my cheeks and into its gurgling waters, blended my angst into its sublime beauty.

                                                                                        II
My parents are long gone, and the farm house looks old and tattered. The people in my life have receded to its periphery and I find myself quite alone as I steal my way to the banks of the beloved stream. My fifty eight year old eyes and their twenty year old twin companions must be playing tricks with me, I decide; for the water seems lacklustre and there is no enthusiasm in its journey over the pebbles and the stones as of yore. I miss the sound of the gurgle, and the glint of the sun as it hit the jagged edge of the stones in the stream. The edges have all smoothened, and the water seems older and wiser as it proceeds carefully and listlessly down the beaten path.

I cannot help but wonder whether the years of listening to my diatribes and woes have taken its toll on the stream. Beauty, like everything else in life, needs nurturing, I surmise, as I walk slowly back the pathway to the farmhouse.  

No comments: